Notes:


I'm back. Looking forward to connecting with many of you. However, I'm not sure if Father would have me continue this next chapter here or write a new one. Either way, I hope you will journey with me into the next phase with Jesus Christ through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.


Monday, November 14, 2011

My Mother-in-law

Note: I wasn’t going to blog about my mother-in-law because I was saving her for Mother’s Day, but the Lord is persistent in promenading her in my head. The thank you part to her will be written in Hmong so that whoever read it to her will not have to translate.


One of the things I appreciate most about my mother-in-law is that she’s very generous with her advice. She encouraged me to drive a stick-shift car. She said so and so drive stick, “so you can do it, too, you’re bright and intelligent. It’s nothing.” If she hadn’t said so I probably made all kinds of excuses and missed out on all of the fun.

She once said to me that in order for a family to succeed in life the wife has to take an active role in her family-she must do the leading. At the time I was offended, because I’ve always heard others said that a man should take lead in his family. I started to disagree, but she was adamant about her statement, so I dropped the subject. Years later as my relationship with Christ grew more personal, I began to understand what she was saying. And, I agreed.

Although she doesn’t drive or even know how to dial the telephone, she has a good common sense about life. She’s not afraid to dish out her opinions where it is most needed. And, she’s not afraid to be herself.

However, the greatest gift she gave me was four days with my mom before she passed away in August 2011. She put aside her mourning for her husband- we just buried him on Monday, August 8, 2011, and on Wednesday I flew to see my mother who passed away on Sunday, August 14-to babysit our children so my husband could return to work and I go visit my mom. Those four days with my mom were more precious than gold. I’m so glad I listened to her advice, otherwise I would never have seen my mother before her passing.

Niam, Kuv zoo siab ua koj tsaug uas koj muaj kev hlub kuv. Koj txhawb kom kuv mus xyuas kuv niam, kuv thiaj tau mus tus nws ob peb hnub ua ntej nws tu siav. Vim yog koj muaj kev hlub koj thiaj muab koj txoj kev quaj txiv thawb ntiag rau tom qab es koj tuaj pab Txhiaj Vuab wb zov wb cov menyuam kuv thiaj tau mus xyuas kuv niam. Qhov uas koj ua nov zoo tshaj nyiaj thiab kub. Kuv yuav nco ntsoov mus txog hnub tsis muaj kuv.

Ib xyoo tim nkaus los txog lub kaum ib hlis ntuaj uas yob lub tebchaws Mekas no los nco txiaj ntsim ntawm lawv lub neej. Kuv thov qhia rau koj hais tias kuv zoo siab uas Vajtswv pub kuv los ua koj tus nyab. Kuv yog tu tau koobhmoov vim koj yog ib leej niam uas zoo. Ua koj tsaug rau koj txoj kev hlub peb txhua tus uas yog koj cov menyuam. Thov Vajtswv foom koobhmoov rau
koj.

Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live,…to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God. ~Titus 2:3-5

No comments: