Notes:


I'm back. Looking forward to connecting with many of you. However, I'm not sure if Father would have me continue this next chapter here or write a new one. Either way, I hope you will journey with me into the next phase with Jesus Christ through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.


Friday, February 13, 2009

Nothing’s Free, My Son

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. ~John 3:16, NKJV

Christmas was coming close and my children wondered what presents they would receive, if any. We didn’t have any money and my son said, “Mom, why don’t you go back to Salvation Army and get us toys there? It’s free.”

“Nothing’s free, my son. Somebody pays for those toys. Nothing is ever free. Someone always pays. No matter how you get them, someone paid the price,” I snapped at him, remembering those people who rang the bells at Walmart, Kmart and Target and those who bought the toys.

A little taken back, “I know, but at least you don’t have to pay for them,” he inserted.

There’s a principle in what I’ve said to my son. The price has to be paid for by someone. Nothing ever comes without a price. We may never personally pay for it, but someone did and we were blessed enough to receive without an obligation to repay. That’s our free gift. The greatest free gift that was ever given to us was Salvation bought by Jesus Christ. It was a great price to pay, but He paid it for us, out of love.

I remembered one Sunday, I was prepared to teach my Bible lesson, but only two ladies showed up and our husbands didn’t want to stay. My children were antsy and didn’t want to stay long enough for me to teach my lesson. So, we cancelled the session. I was so upset and hurt. And, I remembered asking God in tears, “Father, I don’t understand. How could everyone chose earthly activities over spending time with You?” I felt the burden to love them was so heavy and the pain was too hard to bear. But, He gently reminded me that He understood. It was the pain He felt on the cross when all the sins of the world were put on Him. And yet, He chose to bear them out of love. I, too, if truly love God, should do the same out of choice.

Tomorrow, February 14, is Valentine’s Day, a day to celebrate love that was paid for by someone with a great price and given to us free. Let us celebrate with gratitude. Let us never take our loved ones for granted. Most importantly, we live because He lives, so let us celebrate the love He gave to us, FREE.

1 comment:

Wendy Blight said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. Especially thank you for the kind words you left behind. They mean so much to me as a teacher of God's Word.

Thank you also for reminding me to set my heart on my Savior tomorrow. I have been so wrapped up in finding the right card and the right gifts for my kids for Valentine's Day that I don't think I thought a single time about the greatest love of my life...JESUS. When I wake up tomorrow, I will tell my FIRST love how much I love Him!!!

Blessings to you,

Wendy