Notes:


I'm back. Looking forward to connecting with many of you. However, I'm not sure if Father would have me continue this next chapter here or write a new one. Either way, I hope you will journey with me into the next phase with Jesus Christ through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.


Monday, March 31, 2008

Our Jealous God

“I myself will fight against you with an outstretched hand and a mighty arm in anger and fury and great wrath” –Jeremiah 21:5.

When I do my devotions in the mornings, I usually look for a special positive verse that would encourage me throughout the day. However, this morning I was reading through Jeremiah 21, and well, it is one of those “doom and gloom” chapters of the Old Testaments where it is hard to draw in for an encouragement, at least for me. But, the Lord has pressed upon my heart to trust Him and write down verse 5. After, I’ve done a couple of cross referencing, I became interested because I was as confused as can be. So, I called my husband over and asked him why I’ve always believed that God would never harm His children and yet this verse strongly stated that He would fight against the nation of Israel with His outstretched hand.

“Well, He disciplined them because He loved them?” he said without hesitation, and left the room.

Well, that was easy for him to say. He’s a minister. He studied the Bible. And, isn’t that what ministers usually say anyway. You know, stay positive. Support God and you can’t go wrong. I shook my head and read on more verses. I found myself praying this prayer: "Lord, thank You so much for taking such great interest in me, that You would go to such great lengths to save me from destructions. In Jesus’ name, Amen. "

I was stunned. That was my message. God loves me so much, He would do whatever it takes to bring me back to Him. Even if He has to cause me to feel pain and loss in order to bring me back to Him. After all, the Bible does say God is a jealous God.

This reminded me of a time when I wondered whether my husband loved me. He certainly didn’t show any envy or affection. And, when I asked him why he was so confident I wasn’t going to do him no harm that he would not show any sign of jealousy like other men. His response was I was in the hand of God. If I didn’t fear God and I do wrong I would be the one having to deal with God. Although I agreed with him, I still wondered if he loved me at all because there was no sign of jealousy in our relationship, at least on his side.

Unlike my husband, God doesn’t want us to wonder if He loves us at all. That’s why the Bible clearly states that Our God is a jealous God. He wants our affections and devotions. He wants our total attention, total reverence to Him, and total love for Him. Therefore, He urges us to stay focused on the cross so we won’t go astray. I am so glad God has made me realize just how much He loves me by showing me Jeremiah 21:5. He went as far as sacrificing His own Son for me (and you) so that I can live to share with y’all this little message today. Isn’t that awesome?

Father God, You are always awesome, always mighty, always loving, always merciful and compassionate. Thank You for loving us and sharing Your heart with us today. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

3 comments:

Shonda said...

I'm so glad God loves me so much that He'll do whatever it takes to bring me back to Him.

Blessings in Christ--

Michelle said...

Seeing God through the eyes of a parent helps me to understand him. A parent disciplines and guides his/her children out of love for the overall good of the child, just as God does with us.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm glad the song was an encouragement for you. Please visit again, anytime.

Keith Roshleberger said...

A god can either be jealous, or he can be compassionate and omnibenevolent. While they are not opposites, they are mutually exclusive. A god will either forgive you for not "knowing" him, or he'll butcher you eternally after death.

Think of the following as well: a parent is to an infant as the Abrahmic God is to us. Would you let your baby child stick his finger in an electric socket, no matter how much responsibility we feel he should have? No. You may feel that a baby child doesn't know anything, but a teen has a better understanding. Would you let your teen stick his finger in an electric socket? No. That's because we are benevolent (somewhat). The Abrahmic God is not.

I'm not saying the Abrahmic God doesn't exist; just that if he does exist, he's probably indifferent to our plight, or may even be sadistic.