Notes:


I'm back. Looking forward to connecting with many of you. However, I'm not sure if Father would have me continue this next chapter here or write a new one. Either way, I hope you will journey with me into the next phase with Jesus Christ through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.


Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Come Let Us Sing Joy to the Lord

Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. For the Lord is the great God, the great King above all gods. In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him. The sea is his, for he made it, and his hands formed the dry land. Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker; for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care. (Psalm 95:1-7)

Last week, we witnessed one of the deadliest storms. Although, the citizens of Houston and Galveston were directly affected by this hurricane, it devastated people all over the USA: In just a matter of hours gas stations all over Columbia, South Carolina jumped record high. People along the coast are still unable to return home. Last night I was reading an article about Hurricane Ike and how authorities may have to order a mandatory evacuation for Galveston residence. Heart-wrenching decisions, yet it must take place for the safety of the people.

Hurricane Ike may have been strong and it killed 48 people, devastated many homes and cities, islands and businesses. But, when I closed my eyes, I saw God carrying the hurricane in His hand, carefully placing them in certain places. In doing so, many people were spared. They may have lost their earthly belongings, and we may have to pay higher gas prices, but God spared all who heeded the warnings.

This brings the story of Sodom and Gomorrah (I’m not claiming that Galveston or Houston sinned against God or did evil deeds-that’s not my point here) to my mind. When God was going to destroy them, He came to tell Abraham and he pleaded with God and Lot and his daughters were spared. When Hurricane Ike was far off the coast, God revealed it to meteorologist who warned people way ahead of time and those who took heed of the warnings left and their lives were spared. Not only that, but many prayed for mercy, and He quickly turned a category 3 hurricane to a category 2. God is indeed sovereign and merciful.

Though we may not see it as God’s love and mercy because of all the damages, much worst could have happened. It could have claimed more lives and Ike could have remained strong throughout all of the states that it touched, but it didn’t. God was merciful and He quieted the storm.

As a woman who desires to fear the Lord, I marvel at His authority and mercy. As we dig through our purses and cabinets to relieve some of the pains the victims experiences, I pray we will remember to praise our God who is the author of people, mountain, sea, and land. He is mighty, merciful and loving. He is our salvation. He is still in control. Let us lift our praises to Him. And, in due time, I believe He will restore the victims’ fortunes. God bless us all through this difficult time.

God, I praise You. You are worthy of glory, honor and praise. Though we may have the wrong focus and lose sight of You, You are faithful to save us. I pray for all the victims along the cost who were directly affected by Hurricane Ike. I pray You will bring joy, peace and happiness their way and You will restore their fortunes, for You are a compassionate God. I thank You for Your mercy and love. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

3 comments:

Shonda said...

Very good point. You know the word scattered kept coming to my mind when the multi-hurricanes came to the US shores (Gustav, Hanna, Ike and Lowell from the west that has caused flooding not published on the news). That word came to my mind again as I read this post. I'll have to pray and investigate it more.

But it is good to point out that God does warn us when something is going to happen. We should heed the warnings.

Engrafted by His Grace-
Shonda

Van said...

God does spare us! From much more than we could ever imagine, I am sure. I read that many birds have been relocated because they stayed in the eye of the storm and "moved with the hurricanes." Once the winds reduced to tropical storm strength and the eye disipated, the birds found themselves far from their natural habitat - but they were spared! Now they have to find their way back - just like humans after a spiritual storm- find our way back to the heart of God.

Shonda said...

I'm so glad the Lord taught you as HE taught me--Work and Fight. Pressing on for what HE has in store. May you continually be blessed as you seek HIM.

Engrafted by His Grace-
Shonda