Notes:


I'm back. Looking forward to connecting with many of you. However, I'm not sure if Father would have me continue this next chapter here or write a new one. Either way, I hope you will journey with me into the next phase with Jesus Christ through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.


Friday, December 21, 2007

A Woman of Noble Character stands firm in her faith

“… ‘Do not be afraid, Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still” (Exodus 14: 13-14).


I’ve been observing my children every Christmas. I have nearly four days left and still have not bought any presents. Here’s why: partly because of financial reasons and partly because they cannot wait until Christmas day to open their presents. In fact last week their aunt brought them some presents to put under the tree. They couldn’t wait, every time I came out of my office/bedroom; they told me a present is accidentally opened. It’s always the littlest one who did it. Sure, blame it on the defenseless. Anyhow, three of them discovered they’re getting picture frames. The other? A pair of shoe. Oh, my.

Then I felt so bad that I haven’t bought them anything, so I went to Dollar Tree to buy their stocking stuffs. Immediately after I filled their stockings and left the room, they all went and peeked in. At dinner time, they all tattled on each other. They all told me what they got. Their father didn’t utter out a word. He shook his head in disapproval and ate quietly. Me? Well, I threw my hands up in the air (not literally), “that’s it, no presents this year.” Then, they all turned to each other with blame.

“Good job, Elishua,” said Abia

“What you talking about?” reputed Elishua

“Jamin did it, too,” said Gaosoua.

“How do you know, you …(I’m working on teaching him pure language)” said Jamin.

“Okay, children, stop!!!” I shouted (I know it’s bad to shout, especially for a woman in the process of developing her noble character, but it couldn’t be helped). And, all is quiet.

What is it that makes us so anxious about life that we cannot wait, even for the good things in life to happen? As we were arguing during dinner, I was thinking about Adam and Eve when they sinned and God asked them why they disobeyed Him, they blatantly blamed it on one another. I’ve had conversations with women who blamed Eve: “If only Eve didn’t sin, we wouldn’t have to go through such hardships.” Sure, Eve may have started it, but what about me? What could I do to develop that noble character that every woman desire but fall short?

In Exodus 14:13-14, Moses told the Israelites that all they had to do was stand still and they would be delivered from the Egyptians. He said, “Stand firm…” Just believe. Isaiah 7:9b said, “If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all.” Wow! Such a strong statement, yet so true.

I’ve come to realize that no matter how close my Egyptians (whether it be financial, mental, or physical challenges) are, God is able and willing. All He requires of me is that I stand firm in my faith. Trust Him. Trust in Him. Believe that He is able and willing to deliver me from all of my troubles for today. And tomorrow when I wake up, He is already there ready to assist me. So if I desire to develop that noble character of mine, I need to stand still, even with the challenges approaching and surrounding me.

Lord, thank you for your faithfulness toward my anxieties. Help me to be still enough to see, and to hear, to feel Your presence in my life. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Van said...

I believe Christmas gets shaded when we focus too much on the world. We get just what we look for. When we look for Jesus we find Him and then Christmas shines through. He does not disappoint. I am waiitng for the quillow instructions! Christmas blessings